Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Flapjack


Last weekend my daughter was making chocolate chip pancakes for herself for breakfast.  I know what you’re thinking and I have tried to tell her, but she is convinced that gruel is inedible at any time of day.  And apparently it doesn’t matter if eating chocolate chip pancakes first thing in the morning means that you start the day at the pinnacle so the rest is all downhill.  Plus there is the issue of size.  Her pancakes are as big as your head.  Mine are dollar size.  She makes merciless fun of the size of my pancakes.  I figure with small ones you can eat more.  As you can see none of the wisdom of my years is taken very seriously by my child.  By now, I’m pretty sure, you are wondering what any of this has to do with metal.  Nothing except that I love and use cast iron pans which has nothing to do with anything. 

This is about the word flapjack.  Flapjack is a mystery.  Unlike the origin of other terms, I can't find anything on flapjack.  This distresses me.  The Oxford online dictionary defines it as a pancake.  Okay, I get that.  But, why?  For its origin it gives this

from flap ( in the dialect sense 'toss a pancake') + jack


It has some nice links there but that means nothing and it's the best I can find  . . . . sad . . . . .


Next time I will go back to making things and metal.


Back to work. . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment